Current:Home > MyVatican says new leads worth pursuing in 1983 disappearance of 15-year-old Emanuela Orlandi -AssetLink
Vatican says new leads worth pursuing in 1983 disappearance of 15-year-old Emanuela Orlandi
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 02:17:15
Exactly 40 years after the teenage daughter of a Vatican employee disappeared, the Vatican said Thursday that new leads "worthy of further investigation" had surfaced hopes of finally getting to the bottom of one of the Holy See's enduring mysteries.
Emanuela Orlandi vanished on June 22, 1983, after leaving her family's Vatican City apartment to go to a music lesson in Rome. Her father was a lay employee of the Holy See, the episcopal jurisdiction of the Catholic Church in Rome headed by the Pope.
Over the years, her disappearance has been linked to everything from the plot to kill St. John Paul II to a financial scandal involving the Vatican bank and Rome's criminal underworld.
The Vatican's criminal prosecutor, Alessandro Diddi, said Thursday he had recently forwarded to prosecutors in Rome all the relevant evidence he had gathered in the six months since he reopened the investigation into Orlandi's disappearance. In a statement, he vowed to keep pursuing the case.
Popular interest in the case was renewed last year with the four-part Netflix documentary "Vatican Girl," which explored the various scenarios suspected in her disappearance and also provided new testimony from a friend who said Orlandi had told her a week before she disappeared that a high-ranking Vatican cleric had made sexual advances toward her.
After the documentary aired and with the 40th anniversary of her disappearance nearing, Orlandi's family — backed by some lawmakers — pressed for an Italian parliamentary commission of inquiry. Separately, the Vatican and Rome prosecutor's offices reopened the investigation.
Rome's previous chief prosecutor who archived the case within the Italian legal system, Giuseppe Pignatone, is now the chief judge of the Vatican's criminal tribunal, where Diddi is the chief prosecutor.
In the statement, Diddi said his office had collected "all the evidence available in the structures of the Vatican and the Holy See."
He said his office had also interrogated people who held Vatican positions 40 years ago.
"It has proceeded to examine the material, confirming some investigative leads worthy of further investigation and transmitting all the relevant documentation, in recent weeks, to the Prosecutor's Office in Rome, so that the latter may take a look at it and proceed in the direction it deems most appropriate," the statement said.
He expressed solidarity with the Orlandi family.
Pietro Orlandi, who has fought for 40 years to find the truth about his sister, is planning a sit-in protest Sunday near the Vatican. He has long charged that the Vatican has never come clean with what it knows about the case.
- In:
- Religion
- Rome
- Vatican City
- Politics
- Pope John Paul II
veryGood! (62971)
Related
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- The Super Bowl is set: Mahomes and the Chiefs will face Purdy and the 49ers
- Russian election officials register Putin to run in March election he’s all but certain to win
- Bryan Greenberg and Jamie Chung Share Update on Their Family Life With Twin Sons
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Bayley, Cody Rhodes win WWE Royal Rumble 2024. What does that mean for WrestleMania 40?
- How Taylor Swift Can Make It to the Super Bowl to Support Travis Kelce
- 2 accused of racing held for trial in crash with school van that killed a teen and injured others
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Biden praises Black churches and says the world would be a different place without their example
Ranking
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Report: California officers shot in ambush were not verbally warned that suspect had gun, was on PCP
- Tom Selleck reveals lasting 'Friends' memory in tribute to 'most talented' Matthew Perry
- Pedro Almodóvar has a book out this fall, a ‘fragmentary autobiography’ called ‘The Last Dream’
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- Bullfighting set to return to Mexico City amid legal battle between fans and animal rights defenders
- Taking away Trump’s business empire would stand alone under New York fraud law
- West Brom and Wolves soccer game stopped because of crowd trouble. FA launches investigation
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Trial set to begin for 2 accused of killing Run-DMC’s Jam Master Jay over 20 years ago
Americans don't sleep enough. The long-term effects are dire, especially for Black people
Who is No Doubt? Gwen Stefani had to explain band to son ahead of Coachella reunion
The Grammy nominee you need to hear: Esperanza Spalding
Woman trapped 15 hours overnight in gondola at Lake Tahoe's Heavenly Ski Resort
As displaced Palestinians flee to Gaza-Egypt border demilitarized zone, Israel says it must be in our hands
The head of a Saudi royal commission has been arrested on corruption charges